Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Another Day, An Empty Day

Does it ever diminish? My son started school on July 30. I thought; Hey, now my house will be clean. I can start making more quilts and begin my designing career making mini albums and greeting cards geared to my community specifically.

Let's break down my days so far: Up at 5:30 make lunch for the hubby; do the dishes from the night before, wake my son up at 7:20. Get him dressed and ready, out the door by 8:15. Walking after wards and then home by 9-9:30AM. Sounds pretty impressive up to now, right? Make my coffee and sit down to watch some Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I promise myself it is only one episode...Three episodes later and I look a the time. Crap Nuggets! It is now 2:30 and I am eating lunch. Leave the house for 3:15 to pick up my son at school and then home by 4PM. Hubby-dear gets home around 5-6PM, so supper has to be started by 4:45 the latest. Oh and lets not forget the two dogs and the two cats and the 12 chickens who need to be fed and watered. Aaand, I let the chickens out of their pen for a walk-about in the evenings for about an hour or two, then back inside they go.Then it is bathing my son, cleaning/straightening up the rooms that he terrorized before putting him to bed. I get to at least sleep in on weekends, 7-7:30AM is usually the time that my son now gets up.

While all this is going on, I have this little itch in the back of my mind: Sakoianihsaks....What is he into? No. Wait, he is in school. Ten minutes later; same thoughts. I actually caught myself walking through the house thinking I would let him stay home tomorrow. Does it ever Diminish? At one time I remember thinking, I can't wait for him to go to school. There will be soo much done. Hunh! Not yet.


Another unrelated note. The school that I have sent my son to is holding their Annual Dinner and Quilt Auction on the weekend of the August 25 & 26. I worked here for about 8 years. Wow, 8 years. the parents of the school volunteer at this fundraiser; it is our responsibility to provide additional funding for the running of the school. It was quite the job to get everyone to commit to various activities, but when the time came; the parents stepped up and got the job done. Now I have come full circle. My son is now attending school here and I have volunteered for the quilt auction. I will have my own quilt that I have made donated as part of my effort to help out.  

The school's curriculum is based on the Ohenton Kariwhatekwen (Word before all else). It is a full immersion school of the Mohawk language. I chose to send my son here because I want him to have the chance to learn his language and be able to communicate with the elders in the community. I'll have a link to school's website and some more info listed here soon.


The time for me to pick up my son is rapidly closing in on me. What have I done today, you ask? Well, woke up this morning at 5:30.....

Does it ever diminish, this feeling that I have to have my son by my side? Can you tell me that?  Oh and I still have not gotten to designing my cards and minis yet. Thanks for stopping by and taking a stroll through the cluttered paths of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment